Sunday, November 4, 2007

Jerusalem Fartichokes



I'm rather pleased with my fartichockes. They have turned out to be really easy to grow and there's loads of them not bad for a fiver.

I bought a couple of the tubers from the organic gardening catalogue, the type I opted for were Fuseau. The idea being that they would be nearer the size of a spud than the other varieties, to be honest I wouldn't say they are that big there's still quite a few of them to be dug up so maybe there's a couple of giant ones left down there. To plant them I dug a little hole about four inches deep and forty centimetres apart. Apart from a bit of weeding that was that. I might stake them next year as they grow amazingly high, I'm talking over seven feet. So the wind blew a few of them over but they're so tough they just kept growing anyway.

I haven't used them yet so I can't vouch for their legendary gruff producing powers. I will, of course, file a report detailing strength, velocity and bouquet once the effects have been accurately assessed. Wish me luck, I'm going in...

No comments: