Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Horse Shit


There's nothing like a fresh delivery of horse poo to get the allotment teaming with activity. It's weird, people you have never seen there before come creaking out of their sheds armed with a fork and wheelbarrow. God knows what they do the rest of the time, I'm assuming that they are nestled down in small wooden box carefully lined with newspaper hibernating away. I am, of course, no different except I've got a bottle of sherry to see me off to sleep.

It's Raspberry o'clock
It's time to put my new raspberry plants in. I bought 'Autumn Bliss' because it was recommended by a local commercial raspberry grower (St. Aldams Farm Nursery) and because they are primocanes. This means that they will fruit on this year's growth so I can get my grubby mitts on the lovely fruits this year.
Raspberries like a lot of organic material in the soil so I had grown some mustard as a green manure, the horse shit was just an opportunistic bonus, and dug it all in to the new bed.
The spacing I've used is 15 inches apart. The bed is a pretty generous four feet wide but apparently they use as much space as you give them.

No comments: